Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

LOST and found

Buzz and I have spent the last couple of months zipping through the entire series of Lost. It was something we talked about doing last year when we would see bits and pieces of the show but have no idea of the storyline. So we decided to wait until the series was over so we could just watch the whole thing all the way through on DVD. And we did. It was a little crazy--almost like some strange obsession. I think I have spent more time in front of the tv so far this year than I have in the past 5 years! I would have these crazy dreams that somehow incorporated my life into the life of The Island. I felt bad about myself for spending so much time watching a crazy tv show when I could have been and SHOULD have been doing things that were more productive--like school work.

But I didn't. I watched Lost instead. And during that time, I probably spent more "together" time with Buzz than I have in the past 5 years. And I found creative things to do with K, who couldn't watch the show for obvious reasons. For example, we would do puzzles with her back to the tv, we played games, we colored, we did math. I know, not the Leave it to Beaver family picture, but we had lots of family time.

So in the time and productivity that I thought I lost, watching Lost, I also found some things that I had been missing. I found family time. And I found out that I can spend a lot of time not doing school work and still stay on track. I didn't get any big epiphany from the series itself, though I don't see a problem with the ending as apparently many people did. But I got a bigger epiphany about myself and my time. Now, instead of making a deal with myself to lose myself and complete a tv series, I am making a deal to find more joy in everyday little things with my family. Putting off school work isn't so bad--I'm still (so far) making it through. And those moments spent with a little girl who is growing up way too fast are far more important than finishing that paper a week sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment